PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increase in Weight demands an increase in Power
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 12:32
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you are right. An increase in weight requires an increase in power or you will lose something like, controllability, performance, predicted attitude, stall perf, therefore turning perf - and somewhere in all of this is dangerousness - just flying along having traded speed, performance, stall speed, to see what happens - else why fly in that config?

I thought we flew to a performance figure/parameter rather than "see watcha got"

That being said - if you don`t get what you want . . . .with say . . .full power plus the attitude you want then it is time reconsider your options. Power + Attitude = Performance.

I remember one sad time at a touring air show departure event thang - this single engined aircraft took of from the UK and climbed out turned left and promptly went side ways into the ground from about 200 feet - heavy and full of fuel.

Step Turn - I don`t know why (because I am not very intelligent) anyone would want to fly with a trade off rather than go for a perf. Once we went heavy and there was no trade off or power increase (can`t have been that heavy then . . maybe not) once we went heavy and there was a big trade off. Why trundle along like that - I landed back on - some mother else took it. Flying slow and slushy (not mushy) on purpose to demonstrate is one thing, flying slow and slushy because that is all you`ve got is not a place to be. I am not talking about commercial operations stuffed full of mail - even so I have been there too and whilst my nose was comfortably pressed onto the windscreen (joking . . ) there was no deficit in performance, admittedly it was a twin turbo-prop - I am talking about flight training SEP here.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 2nd Apr 2015 at 12:47.