PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failed my FAT. Advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 12:25
Poose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar situation, albeit many years ago...

I went for the RAF Flying Scholarship and Sixth Form back in 1997, age 16. I failed the pilot aptitude by a very narrow margin, but had passed for the AAC. I was given a Flying Scholarship and told to return after my A-Levels and try again.
I went back, my score improved but was not sufficient for the FAA or RAF, as you say, since the aptitude is loaded towards fast jets first. I was told that the aptitude means that statistically, if you pass that, you would be able to pass a fast jet OCU.
No such requirement for the Army...

No one on here can tell you what to do, but the Army is very competitive, too.
If you wanted to go commissioned pilot in the AAC, you're looking at a year at Sandhurst, where you need to be performing in the top third or quarter of your company to stand a realistic chance at the AAC selection board. You then have to do six months with the armour or infantry to further learn the about the battlefield. Then, and only then would you head off to JEFTS for the sixth month course.

If you wanted to go non-commissioned in the Army, I think you needed two years service and to be a Lance Corporal, recommended full Corporal before you can apply for the pilot's course.

I'm probably way out of date with my facts, but that was the situation when I was looking at it.
One thing, though, if the thought of soldiering fills you with dread, the AAC is not the place for you...

Best of luck!