PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private airstrips and third party liability
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 09:31
Baikonour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really do hope you don't think there's a black and white answer to this.

To answer fluffily, you should take (and be able to show that you have taken) all reasonable precautions to divest yourself of the duty of care you have towards third parties.

If you think that, due to the proximity of e.g. the hotel, there is a higher than average number of clueless ramblers around, than it may unfortunately become incumbent on you to take higher than usual precautions to ensure that said clueless ramblers do not cause any issues.

(By airing your concerns on the forum you appear to already acknowledge that there is a potential issue, so you cannot plead ignorance.)

As an aside, often a good way to show that you have taken (some steps towards) reasonable precautions is to have complied with the relevant regulations in force. As I guess that these are unlicensed, those may not be applicable - but you could probably do worse than to have a look at those regulations - even if they are not applicable to you - and adapt those which appear to make sense and which, in hindsight, you might have been expected to put into force.

Realistically, what may be a good way forward is to discuss with your insurer. The underwriter dealing with your policy is hardly ever the same guy dealing with a potential claim - his job is to get the business in and he will normally be accommodating to get the business in. Discuss it with him (through your broker, if you want) and try to get something in an email ... Of course, by bringing it up, you must also be prepared to actually do something if he suggests something.

Disclaimer - I have links to GA insurance but we do not specifically do strip TPL ... Drop me a PM if you want me to have a chat over a coffee with someone directly involved.

B.