PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private airstrips and third party liability
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 07:38
Monocock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private airstrips and third party liability

Are there any insurance experts here?

Third party liability cover at private airstrips is a reasonably straight forward subject in terms of value of cover held, and what it's for.

However, I have two airstrips that are both 'covered' in the event of an incident, but I'm not entirely sure how the cover works in terms of how far I am expected to go to manage the risks that I am insured for. For example, one of my strips has footpaths at either end, and walkers sometimes (not often, but sometimes) make out they're lost and walk between the two. This route takes them right past the hangar, and across the taxyway.

I'm reasonably sociable, and hate to give people the cold shoulder when they show an interest in the aircraft (especially if they have kids who are keen to have a look), but I do always remind them that they have strayed off the footpath and are on private land. They are normally apologetic and move on after we have chatted for a few minutes. The trouble is, a few hundred yards away is a Warner hotel, and each weekend brings a fresh batch of geographically clueless ramblers.

So, my question is, would I be expected (by my insurance company) to be doing more to restrict access to the site? Should I have fences/signs up making it clear that the land is private and they must not leave the footpath? If there was an incident involving a strayed footpath walker where does that leave me and my insurance? Yes, I am covered, but will Mr Clipboard wriggle out of a claim because I didn't have everything covered in day-glo yellow tabard material?

Ok, so I haven't minced anyone up in 25 years of flying from there, but people seem less and less prepared to stick to the rights of way, and seem to feel they can pretty much walk where they like these days. Yes, I could plaster the area with signs, but I don't really want to draw people's attention to the fact that there is a hangar nearby, especially with the recent events involving stolen engines etc.

Interested to hear the views of other airstrip operators.