PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2015, 20:57
Danny42C

jeffb,

Your: "he did remain at the Bomb Aimers station during takeoff- said it was so exhilarating particularly when the tail came up! He loved the view." reminds me:

In the early '50s a USAF B-50 "SuperFortress" detachment came into Valley for a few weeks. Talking to one of their Bombardiers, I was told as follows:

It seems that although their pilots had plenty of perspex all round and could see a runway ahead well enough, a "Lootenant" Hoskins had devised a sure-fire way of Getting the Round-Out absolutely Perfect (for a change).

He put his Bombadier in position (nearest to the accident !), and watched him carefully. If the man leaned to the right or left, he would adjust his heading accordingly. When he shrank back in horror, he would haul back the yoke. Worked every time.

And, in the words of the Iron Duke two centuries ago: "Sir, if you will believe that, you will believe anything . (Seems that, strolling in Piccadilly, Wellington had been accosted by a stranger with the words: "Mr Smith, I presume ?")

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 1st Apr 2015 at 21:00. Reason: Spacing.