PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2015, 16:30
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Perspective

@ChissayLuke, Chissay en Touraine, France.

"To me, all that is relevant here, is the safety of the travelling public"

This is all very nice. However do you apply the same standard to other aspects of your life? I presume that you do not travel on the roads since on the roads of France 3250 people died in latest year for which figures are available. About 150 people have died in this latest crash which gets headlines all round the world but that is just over 2 weeks of French road deaths about which essentially no one cares[0].

It seems almost certain that tens of thousands of people die in France from medical errors every year, and in every other modern large country. Unlike the aviation industry there is no formal investigation of most fatal events in medicine[1].

In terms of total preventable deaths in France this is a minor event (not for those directly involved of course) from which lessons will be learned and if necessary changes made by the aviation industry. Many European airlines have already changed their practises.

Please get your comments (and your thinking) into a reasonable perspective.

[0] France is successfully reducing road deaths rapidly after a multi-year campaign but the present figure is still a higher rate than for example the UK. "The rate of fatalities has been falling gradually since 1972, a black year on France's roads when 18,000 people were killed."

[1] Here is an example from year the 2000 of how poorly the medical industry monitors the performance of medical personnel.

(I now notice that I have chosen perhaps an unfortunate example under the circumstances, however it is well known, documented publicly and makes my point regarding the monitoring of outcomes. Please do not read into it any further comparison with the recent events in France. No further comparison is intended by me. If I was being paid to write this I would probably look for another example.)

"The Shipman Inquiry concluded Shipman was probably responsible for about 250 deaths."[2]

A General Practitioner killed people over decades and no one in the profession noticed because no meaningful monitoring was done.

[2] Harold Shipman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by jimjim1; 1st Apr 2015 at 16:34. Reason: remove "hundreds" / add "tens"