PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regional Air Connectivity Fund - 19 routes
Old 1st Apr 2015, 09:13
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickBarnes
From what I have seen, All Routes have to show they will be sustainable on their own after 3 years, any route that doesn't show growth or meet the expected demand will have the plug pulled even before the 3 years is up!

There is so much criteria that has to be met I can see a lot of those proposed not making it so I wouldn't worry to much

Yes we have a small country, that is coming ever more crowded!!!
The point is I don't want my tax to be given to private companies to help them get rich. If a route is possibly sustainable then private companies should take a chance. It really is quite simple - if enough people want to use the route it will work. If there aren't enough people within a region the route wont work.

Yes the population of the country is expanding and when there is enough people within a region to make a route viable it will be viable. Completely agree with the posters on here - empty, damaging, ridiculous, pre election gestures throwing good tax payers money after bad. I would prefer that money to be spent on kids vaccinations etc.

Is that not the whole point of the state - to provide public services that the free market isn't able to provide? Can't see anything wrong with that myself.

Yes the service they have to provide is an airport (or bus station, hospital, library etc) for each region that can properly do the job. Thought has gone into deciding the best location. Making sure the airport has a suitable runway and is easily able to be accessed by road and rail. The airport must be able to provide the services that the individual region will VIABLY require. That is the Government's responsibility. The free market is able to provide these services but only if the Government do their jobs correctly and fairly. The government are artificially distorting demand by giving peoples hard earned money to private companies to help unviable routes work.

This is nothing more than a last ditch unfair way of the government helping finningley airport after they have thrown millions of pounds at it. Much better to do that than spend on ONE proper fit for purpose airport within Yorkshire. North west companies and North west airports will be laughing all the way to the bank.