PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2015, 07:21
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manchester Airport is in a world of competing pressures, Heathrow is one of many !

This is a discussion which is not "an instead of" , "it's an as well as..."

I'm delighted that Iraqi Airways OR the new Virgin is booked out for the next two months but equally what happens at LHR does effect what happens up here in a variety of ways, discreet or otherwise. If it is not a legitimate debate I really cannot see what is.

On a theme....

There is much discussion currently is there not about "connectivity" to the regions from Heathrow, not least in the Manchester area, step forward my two favorite local MPs Mr Graham Stringer and Mr Graham Brady, whose support for Heathrow expansion is unequivocal.

Their constituents are of course apathetic, they simply do not understand the growth prospects that a 60% full, twice daily Fokker "might" bring, to Durham Tees Valley in say 20 years time ! To be fair I'm struggling myself.

But wait, what's this ? is it possible that a number of "other regions" are ALSO being sadly neglected ?

What of Wales, Chester, Cumbria, North Lancashire and Humberside all of whom are "currently" screaming blue murder with ref to Manchester Airport. They are exercise by access or lack of it. Not by air in 20 years time, but by rail and NOW !

.....and this to an airport that they perceive as "more important" than Heathrow ! I won't quote all media sources but trust me there are many MPs, business leaders and Civic Chiefs in each of these areas who are furious about quality and consistency of delivery ! And therin lies the problem, a number of us do see this as vital, more so than pontificating about the vision of a route from one region 200 miles away to another, which is yet another 200 miles in the other direction !

Where is the pressure to solve THIS ?
Where is the vociferous tub thumping in OUR area ?
Who is raising such legitimate comparisons with Davies etc ?

Apologies, but personally our frustration I would suggest occasionally boils over, not based an an Anti Heathrow stance but a blinding inability by those local MPs in our area to avoid involvement in the "bl..ding obvious"

Last edited by Bagso; 1st Apr 2015 at 08:11.