PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 23:29
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinbird
This is not to say that making a turn at altitude is identical to making a turn down low. At altitude, you are going much faster and Mach effects reduce the available AOA. ... You have to use lesser bank angles at altitude if you are going to avoid the stall boundary and maintain airspeed.
Which is kind of the point I was trying to make. Far from making things more complicated, I think my position is fairly simple - namely that the lack of training or experience in high-altitude manual handling *in any law* had a far greater impact on Bonin's ability to control the aircraft than the difference in roll response in Alt2B vs. Normal Law.

Fundamentally, whether you're getting 15 degrees/sec roll rate, or whatever you get when stick input commands deflection, the point is that the aircraft must be handled differently at altitude than it does closer to the ground. Bonin's inputs in roll were excessive from the get-go, and I think the control law would have made little difference in how he perceived the aircraft's reaction.