PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 20:46
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Live and Let Live!'

TURIN / All,

Here is a much better idea for you. Click 'User CP' at the top left of your PPRuNe page. Then enter the user names of all those posters who irritate or bore you ("usual suspects") into 'IGNORE LIST'. Once you have done this, you won't have to read any postings from the "usual suspects" again. But those readers who are interested in the wider issues pertaining to Manchester Airport will still be able to do so. What's not to like?

Alternatively, I can assess at a glance whether a post contains subject matter which interests me personally or not. I suspect that this ability is widely shared. Thus I skip or read postings as I choose. It could hardly be more straightforward.

On any public message board, each individual user wants something slightly different from the experience. There will always be posts which (interest / bore rigid) any one individual. I can't or wouldn't wish to say: 'This particular topic doesn't interest me personally, therefore discussion of it should be banned for everybody'. That is self-indulgent and intolerant behaviour.

Some readers want a superficial briefing of new air services only. Some want to know which handling agent is going to be awarded the contract for 'Airline X'. Some want to discuss airport infrastructure. Some are interested in day-to-day operations or incidents (eg. Virgin Water Salute). Some are interested in management changes. Some want to discuss the effects of actions by competitors or government on the operation at MAN. And then there is Airport City, Terminals redevelopment, security and immigration queueing times, new retail outlets in the terminals, Flight delays / changes / diversions, business and first class uptake, fare comparisons / APD, monthly stats, potential for US pre-immigration at MAN, airport hotels, cargo news, car parking on aircraft stands, Winter Snowplan, 'No Div' NOTAMS. And of course, Manchester Airport Ground Transport Interchange, featuring trains, trams and buses! It is all topical, but not of interest to every reader all of the time.

So just use the skimming technique and the 'ignore list' (that is why it is provided). Take responsibility for your own reading. Use your own discretion, be selective. Then it is smiles all round!