PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yemen
Thread: Yemen
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 16:28
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Hempy
Imho Israel is going to settle this one way or another. They don't seem to wear the 'cotton gloves' or political correctness of the western democracies, and I'm sure Netanyahu is just waiting for a good excuse to start issuing iodine tablets before turning the greater part of the middle east into glass. They don't need US approval or assistance in doing that.
Are you writing a script for a B grade movie, or trying to depict events in the real world?

While I agree the Israelis act often without so much as a "by your leave" (they are a sovereign nation after all) your assertion that they are eager to enact their own Gotterdammerung, to cry havoc and let slip the dogs of nuclear war, is at best a comic book trope and at worst a fantasy being believed as a reality.

But here's a core question on your premise:
Imho Israel is going to settle this one way or another.

Just what is it that you think the Israelis desire or intend to settle?

Their core political motivation since inception is to exist, and to keep existing, as the no-kidding Jewish homeland. They have shown the ability to work with other local governments now and again, even though they don't always get along well with others. There are a great many ways for them to exist in that fashion without trying to destroy the surrounding area.

It's a tough neighborhood, sure. But Yemen is a far reach from being the most pressing area of Israeli interest. It is my suspicion, possibly in error, that the Israelis aren't displeased to see some of their more difficult rivals/threats fighting one another, which keeps Israel out of the gun sites for a while. The harder question is:
Who are they slipping assistance to, on the sly, if anyone as this multi party fight progresses?