PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 16:16
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
YLSNED

I have recently rediscovered my Dad's "Ferry Pilots Notes" from his time with 21 Ferry Control Mauripur Karachi, (March to June 1944). The notebook cover says sternly FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (hope it's OK to tell you about this) INDIA COMMAND EDITION - PRINTED IN INDIA - AUGUST 1943.

Handling notes for all the usual suspects, (RAF, from Anson to Wellington), (RN, from Albacore to Walrus) are to be found in this little notebook.
In there, to my surprise, are two types that I had never heard of at all - A "Wicko" (surely they mean a Waco I thought), but no, Foster Wikner Wickos were pressed into RAF service, as were some Airspeed AS5 Couriers - YLSNED. I was aware of the Miles Whitney Straight but I did not know that they served in the RAF. According to Wikki only one, yes (1) example of this type served in India so it was truly comprehensive of the INDIA COMMAND EDITION to provide Ferry Pilot Notes for this lonely specimen.

Danny, I don't know if you ever went anywhere in your VV by yourself, but as they never gave you a handbook for the bird, you might not know that the ferry notes say "Ballast: At least 200lbs. desirable in rear cockpit in lieu of passenger". YLSNED

Best Wishes
Ian BB