PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 23 DFCs
Thread: 23 DFCs
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 15:48
[email protected]

Received 630 Likes on 272 Posts
My only experience of SH was in NI back in the 80s so no, I don't have any 'real SH' background - but I seem to remember we got shot at, RPG'd, mortared and targeted by snipers all the time (and this in part of our own country) and took a great many IED-caused casualties to hospital. There were many brave things done and plenty of danger to face all with just a flare pistol and a GPMG to defend ourselves with and no other air support to call in.

Looking at the Wiki list it would appear that only 2 DFCs were awarded (1 RAF 1 AAC) during the many years we were there. Getting shot at by the enemy was just doing your job, not the reason for getting a medal.

I do appreciate the intensity of the threat faced by the SH force in Afghan and, as long as those many DFCs are meant to represent the collective effort made by the SH force, then that is fine; it is the same with AFCs in the SAR Force, many outstanding rescues go unnoticed but a few get the gongs - it is for the whole SAR force not the lucky individuals who got written up.

Some citations get massively embellished on both sides to ensure the award is given but getting shot at and then flying home isn't necessarily what I (and possibly a few of my generation) would consider deserving of such a high award.

I still applaud the efforts of the SH force for doing their job well in difficult circumstances.