PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna as an Uber Taxi ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 11:19
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step Turn

Not just you. It was clear what the OP was asking - although the thread meandered off into discussions about commercial charter flights (and the legislation relating to them) despite the efforts of some posters to bring it back to the question asked.
I agree that in most instances the OP's question has been "answered objectively", but it does not follow that the answers, however objectively given, are necessarily correct.
I agree that "GA is not the solution for all transportation needs." There's wisdom (and often experience) in the old adage 'Time to spare, go by air.'
Re "chisel charter": If you mean the same pilot regularly taking a succession of people who 'happened to walk onto the ramp' then that might well arouse suspicion and lead to further investigation. However, I don't know of any legal obstacle to a private pilot regularly cost-sharing with the same passenger or passengers, even regularly to the same destination.
Re promoting GA: I wouldn't criticise anyone who hasn't already been in a light aircraft flown by a private pilot for deciding that it's far too risky after reading this thread.
an inaccurate presentation helps no one....
Nor do inaccurate assertions - some of which have been pointed out by various posters.

I thought Foxmoth's positive approach was sensible. When I was a barrister, I was often required to advise whether something which appeared to be prohibited could be achieved legally.
On some occasions, it could be achieved with just a few amendments to the client's proposed plan
On others, I advised that it could not. I remember one instance very well because the client queried my advice, pointing out that another owner-pilot had been very openly doing what he wished to do for several years (True) and saying that it was inconceivable that the CAA was not aware. (I shared his view.) My answer was still no.

A general comment about cost-sharing:

It may be uncommon in North America where flying is, for several reasons, less expensive than elsewhere. It is not uncommon in the UK where private flying is very expensive.

Cost-sharing is lawful provided the arrangement complies with the relevant national restrictions/conditions. I have noticed frequently over the years that many pilots believe the regulations are more restrictive than they actually are - sometimes confidently referring to some supposed 'rule' that doesn't exist.