PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many Pilots have left/Leaving Emirates
Old 31st Mar 2015, 10:54
positive stability

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr GC wrote a good post (#116). I completely agree with his statement about the physically demanding LoCo operations whilst doing 900 hours per year, the saviour though is you generally also get to sleep in your own bed and live in your own chosen location. The big problem with EK is that the physical demands are exacerbated with different time zones, un-friendly flying schedules, 16 hour duty periods with 24 stopovers, punitive reactions to any negatively perceived actions, ongoing arbitrary negative changes to the working conditions (many a list has been made on various threads on prune) and to cap it all off a wonderful gem inbound from the GCAA stating that none of your time in the ****tiest bunks ever designed for an aircraft will count toward your flying hour totals.

My reason for departing is the sum of the problems above, but the primary reason has been on-going fatigue. CAP371 never took into account ULR’s with minimum turnarounds with the back of the clock type flying we do. And CAP 371 never interpreted that time spent in a bunk was time that meant you were going to completely rest, every time. One recent flight sleep was impossible in the bunk due to constant turbulence and babies crying. The new target will be very, how can I say it without alarming the press, extremely fatiguing! One only has to look back to the Melbourne incident with the cumulative hours the captain was going into that particular flight and then see how quickly the company was to deny fatigue was in any way a contributing factor to the event.

Here are some points to ponder regarding fatigue in this company;
There is a limitation of being able to swap between east and west, this was a rule invented by the company in order to prevent swaps, I mean fatigue. Yet when you are on reserve you can be sent 6 hours west then getting back to DXB having had minimum rest then be sent 6 hours east, go figure?
Remember the increase in productivity to help out the poor ailing company, which became the new target, what will happen when CAR OPS part 1 is implemented, digest the contents of this link on pprune;
http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/555784-new-gcaa-flight-time-limitations-could-not-any-worse.html
Leave, apart from throwing 4 days in here and there (which would count as base days off anyway), why can’t one get a decent amount of leave which also means a few days off before and afterwards (like our fellow office workers). Leave enables me to attempt a recovery toward normality but it is abundantly clear now that they don’t care about leave or they would manage the numbers more sensibly.

EK is a LoCo long haul operation that pushes every boundary when it comes to squeezing its staff (Engineers, CC plus many others as well). I now know it is not sustainable for my health and unless you are a super human, I don’t think it is sustainable for any human being. But then again you can always leave, as I was told and am in the process of now doing. If only the management managed people instead of numbers, it could be such a great place to work.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/28/germanwings-crash-exposes-pressure-pilotes

As a final thought, does anyone know what level of personal insurance as an EK employee can one expect going to some of the places we fly too?