PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welshpool Flying School
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 08:57
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, Welshpool; that brings back so many memories.... I got my PPL(A) there back in 1997, although for various reasons I now don't think much of the set-up and instruction available at the time. But I got on brilliantly with Bob Jones, who took a lot of interest in me when I was learning to fly, and some time afterwards had a long discussion with me when I was thinking of running the flying school. Eventually I didn't; it was taken over by my friend Kate...and I didn't know she'd left!!! I know the people running the helicopter school too, from way back before they started it. And Jane, who used to make the bacon butties; maybe she isn't doing it any more. This thread makes me feel old...

However, these reminiscences don't help you at all with whether to fly there. Well, it's a lovely airfield, in gorgeous surroundings. 1,500 ft circuit height; has to be as the ground nearby is well over 1000 feet. Main road on short final to Runway 22 (I still remember!) which is quite a challenge for learners. Shortish runway since you have to come in quite high due to previously mentioned main road. Lots of weather due to hills. Easy to find after cross-countries; you head for the town, then follow the river, or is it the railway line; I can't remember. I struggled with flying there, but got told if I could fly at Welshpool I could fly anywhere, and that's roughly true. Probably someone will come on and say how easy-peasy it is there...but we're not all natural pilots you know! I love it. If I still lived nearby I'd go back.

Advice...go along and have a look....