PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cowl flaps in hot climate
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 06:29
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obi, too many variables here, but you have quoted me well out of context. And yes it is true that to explain things properly in an internet forum post is impossible. Heck we take 2.5 days to get people to the point where they have a good starting point of understanding.

Let me try to clarify things and maybe expand further.

Jabawocky,

"It is a commonly held belief that the higher the power higher the CHT. this is not true. In fact at 500 feet running WOT/2500 and 80dF LOP generating 82-84% power my CHT's are 30 or so degrees cooler than FL130 WOT/2400 and appropriately LOP."

That statement is likely trip off a whole new round of incorrect myth and confusion for some low time/experience pilots. (no more than the myths they get taught at flying schools all over the country

It is imperative to apply sound scientific principals in your above comparison and that means you must have exactly the same configuration bar one change, the power output. Same AoA same mixture same OAT same altitude same IAS same cooling configuration. No, not really. The statement was that I can have higher power being proceed and lower CHT, which given the higher density of cooling air and equally appropriate low ICP's is very real. However I will explain in more details below**

If you do that and increase power you will see greater heat loading and therefore a CHT rise. I point this out for the benefit of others as I have no doubt you know all this and it was just a somewhat rushed statement at the end of a long day. It was the next morning…but I was recovering from a long few days

Certainly using the full mixture spread capability you can do many things with temperature including increasing power whilst reducing CHT and EGT, but this is not the same as saying it is not true that the higher the power the higher the CHT.
Help me here, this does not make sense. How can I use mixture to increase power AND reduce CHT under the constant parameters of flight? The EGT absolute value is of no concern and not relevant
** To explain the answer about power settings at the same altitude on the same day, let me copy a small extract from an article I wrote recently that is yet to hint the printers. This might make some sense.
So what did we get for our trouble? Sure we dropped a few knots, maybe 5% but we dropped about 43% in fuel flow. I know what some of you are thinking, but that’s not the same power, and while that is true, it is not much less and the simple test was to reduce the RPM or MP to achieve a few less sucking events per minute to around 26”/2400 rpm and a fuel flow of 78-80 LPH, so HP per HP that is a reduction of 33-35%. Still serious in terms of my wallet.

Interesting question comes to mind, how does this affect the engine stress? We know from science and data collection over the last 65-75 years that the relationship of internal cylinder pressure tracks accurately with CHT, and in fact it is the driving force literally for the CHT. If you are having trouble thinking about this think of your home garage air compressor. Just don’t add any fuel, to the intake, it might not end well.
So at low level and a nice dense air flow, what are the CHT’s typically on the RV10? When run rich of peak at the same 80% power they are typically in the range of 345 to 375 degrees F, and yet when run LOP for the same 80% power they are around 305-335 degrees F. How can this be?
Drop me a line if I am missing the mark or confusing the question. PM me for my phone number if you want.