PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 06:19
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Interest

For the record I have no financial interest in whether LHR, LGW or anywhere else gets a new runway. But having worked in this industry all my life, I just feel that airports should be allowed to grow so long as they can make a business case for it. Using their own money, with no recourse to taxpayer funds. And that principle applies to MAN, LHR, Timbuktu or wherever.

Same applies from me.

Whatever happens at LHR be it Yes or No it WILL have an impact on Manchester, that is why we are discussing it ....

AND why maybe the frustration of some of us can be vented here, when common sense questions and answers about this topic , be they from/to MPs, Transport Committee, Business Leaders are et al are in short supply !

Most answers are simply banal with no supportive evidence !

AND lets take my last previous post.

HAL think the country will benefit to the tune of £100 Billion

Airport Commission think its more like £210 Billion

HAL then get there knickers in a twist and end up with identical adverts appearing with the exception of two figures !

Forgoodnesake on what basis are these figures calculated ?

"and what of those build costs , on this basis it could be 50% of the estimate OR presumably if the calculators a a bit wonky in Whitehall double ."

AND yes HAL is a private company BUT Heathrow is a "national treasure" is it not, it is inconceivable that if somebody screws up the figures it would be allowed to go under, and who picks up that tab ?

I'm sure the when The Channel Tunnel was built the eventual cost meant it would be paying off debt fro 100 years ....OR was part of it written off by Government ?