PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 01:33
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti
First of all, no, not kicking and screaming, but we do point out the dangers with that solution. And the norm elsewhere? It certainly wasn't in the USA.
Denti, In the US, has been airline SOP, following FAA guidelines since Phase I post 9/11 cockpit door improvements, that there be two crew on the flight deck at all times. United Airlines, for reasons only known to them, waived that policy for "certain aircraft" according to that news story you linked from the WSJ.

Originally Posted by Diesel8
I was surprised about this as you, certainly is SOP on all the carriers I have flown on in the US, including UAL, although haven't been on their 787.

EDIT: I should add the guidelines and policies regarding two-crew cockpits were in place to assist in identifying the person on the other side of the door as "authorized", the opening of the door itself (this Phase I SOP was in place before automated magnetic locks and video cameras were fitted), and in cases of pilot incapacitation. The idea of a single pilot suicide was not part of the thinking at the time.

Another admittance of mine: I know here in the States, security and hyperbolic reaction is commonplace and much of what is done here is often after the fact and over the top. In this case, I believe the regulators and airline operation authors were well-founded in their recommended procedures.

While I am on this tack... The US also has some of the strictest regulation and policies in place (far from the most humane and practical to be sure) regarding mental illness and substance abuse among pilots holding ATPLs - that, however, would be another conversation - perhaps the one we should be having.

Last edited by vapilot2004; 31st Mar 2015 at 02:07.