PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 22:21
Jamie2k9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie2k9,

I agree, but it would be great to see a carrier like Bmi Regional come in and test thinner routes like FRA and BRU etc. naturally the fares would reflect the smaller jet aircraft. This would be a good test. Something like JetMagic, who offered a great service....
Possible however it's a high risk venture for bmi regional something I don't expect they would be prepared to do and thier fare structure wouldn't prove at all popular with people with DUB being so close. I think there operation in BRS works because of it's location.

Nothing wrong with the DAA per se, they are just focussed on Dublin Airport.
Cork Airport would be far better off if the DAA were removed along with their debt that makes Cork airport uncompetitive vis a via Shannon.
Hope this will be an election issue in Cork in the coming year.
As DUB is making them the biggest profits, it's only natural and such focus is in the peoples and State's interest. I don't really see this bieng an election issue because Cork City is a strong FF area and they are going nowhere anytime soon.

It would also be very hypocritical of the people, oh yes we care about Cork but on the other hand we will fly from another airport even if the same route is served at Cork!

Even debt free, what have SNN actually gained? FR replaced EIR on a few UK routes, the EI trials of CDG and FAO are gone. Other than a cargo service from TK, not a lot has been achieved.
Exactly

This is quite a pessimistic view, and a little unfair I think. There have been a number of successes which are worth noting.

On the network side...

1. FR have added 7 new routes, 6 of which are Continental European routes.
2. EI have added AGP, FAO and ACE; BOS has been extended to a year-round operation and the JFK service has also been extended
3. UA has extended the ORD operating season
4. EIR service to BHX has been secured for S15
5. TK have added cargo services

Non-network related developments include:

- Transaero has increased its maintenance operation at the airport
- Increased marketing efforts (which have extended as far as Cork)
- The launch of other revenue-generating initiatives, including a controlled set-down area and a re-design of the retail area

It would be unreasonable to expect any sweeping changes. Ultimately, the market is what it is. While a new service to a European hub airport (AMS or CDG) would be a big win, it has been proven time and time again that it is incredibly difficult to make Euro city routes work out of SNN. I have no doubt that the airport is doing all it possible can to secure such a service, but at the same time we need to be realistic. Anything other than the long-standing UK, US and Spanish routes will be a challenge.

For small airports like SNN and ORK, gradual, sustained, progress is what really matters. There will never be one single event that will make us say "yes, the separation has clearly been a success". What we do know, however, is that the progress made to date has been largely positive, and we should commend the airport for that, rather than adopting a very pessimistic view of the situation.
Unfair it may be but it's reality, you can't compare non passenger ventures to Cork so from a passenger prospective it's very little.

ORK

2009 2,769,048 Decrease 15.0%
2010 2,425,131 Decrease 12.4%
2011 2,361,947 Decrease 2.6%
2012 2,340,115 Decrease 0.9%
2013 2,258,005 Decrease 3.5%
2014 2,144,476 Decrease 5%

SNN

2009 2,794,563 Decrease 11.8%
2010 1,755,885 Decrease 37.2%
2011 1,625,549 Decrease 7.4%
2012 1,394,781 Decrease 14.3%
2013 1,400,032 Increase 0.4%........01st Jan 2013: separation
2014 1,639,315 Increase 17.1%
Well we know that 2013 in reality was a decline

Last edited by Jamie2k9; 31st Mar 2015 at 00:12.