PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 18:15
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NigelOnDraft
Please consider the following scenario
  1. Buzzer goes off, Capt & FA in cockpit.
  2. Capt assess the person requesting entry is a security hazard and wishes to deny them entry
  3. FA decides the person outside the door is to be permitted entry.
and now please answer:
  1. Under the "policy", whose decision is final?
  2. In practical terms, should they disagree, whose decision is the one that can be made to apply?
I do not know whether the airlines with the policy have specified the above, my employer did not have the policy so I cannot help. But were I to operate as Captain under the policy, I would wish to ensure the policy made the answers (and others) clear to all.

I believe life has moved on since last week, and risks that were not apparent prior to last week are now known world wide. IMO this policy adds clear new risks, now the "2 in cockpit" rule is so widely known and practiced.
Nigel, a nice straw man - however I think in this case even the slowest flight attendant might be influenced by the high rate descent, the proximity of the mountains through the cockpit window and the screams of the pax.

From a more psychological point of view, the action of the FO was a lot easier to take when 'alone' in his own little world and the people behind were just noises in his head. Having a person in the cockpit changes that psychological state as he would have been actively taking that person's life which is a little more difficult.