PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 15:19
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise Risk Management

Quote: (lomapaseo) -
"Corrective action is not about 100% prevention, it's about mitigation or minimization of effects. For instance, I'll accept flight disruptions, irregularities, but not catastrophic loss of all aboard

I have trouble following arguments that don't include weighing of managed risks.

For starters I would like at least to revisit today's assessment of terrorist risk that was thought to be minimized by a locked door vs requiring a second person (FA) during breaks vs a single man cockpit, etc. etc.

I don't have an answer (opinion) at this point but I sure don't accept most other answers I've read at face value on these pages without more data."

Everyone has familiarity with the (so-called) "law" of unintended consequences. I propose, as a premise to contribute to the discussion, deliberation, analysis and so on -- as appropriately and correctly advocated by lomapaseo's post quoted above -- a "law" of escalating consequences. To wit, there is a pilot shortage. Air transport is growing; yet with airline financial situations in dire straits, expansive new training and screening processes seem unlikely. Point: yes, the horrible and tragic instance of a pilot using an aircraft as a murder weapon has, to date, been statistically very, very rare (even including incidents in countries which, to some posters, have been ignored in the Western Hemisphere). Prediction: under current trends, the risks of such situations as evidently has occurred will increase, not merely stay the same.

And Ian W earlier hit the grand slam home run - the French authorities had to act without delay to preserve evidence. No French law enforcement or prosecutorial authority has declared the civil aviation authority investigation deferred or canceled. No representative of said civil aviation authority has announced anything, or acted in any way, as if such a deferral or cancellation were in place. How, exactly, the two types of official enquiries shall be coordinated, may be a fair question. A harder question: how should they be coordinated in the future, even if the risk is a constant, rather than an increasing one?