PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cowl flaps in hot climate
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 13:16
Obidiah

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"A bit overstated again. The venerable GA8 Airvan for example has 'smart' cowling that is designed to produce different cooling airflow at low speeds versus high speeds. All because angle of attack will be different. So, have it both ways without those pesky cowl flaps! And it works very well."

Ok I'm in.

How does it work?

Jabawocky,

"It is a commonly held belief that the higher the power higher the CHT. this is not true. In fact at 500 feet running WOT/2500 and 80dF LOP generating 82-84% power my CHT's are 30 or so degrees cooler than FL130 WOT/2400 and appropriately LOP."

That statement is likely trip off a whole new round of incorrect myth and confusion for some low time/experience pilots.

It is imperative to apply sound scientific principals in your above comparison and that means you must have exactly the same configuration bar one change, the power output. Same AoA same mixture same OAT same altitude same IAS same cooling configuration.

If you do that and increase power you will see greater heat loading and therefore a CHT rise. I point this out for the benefit of others as I have no doubt you know all this and it was just a somewhat rushed statement at the end of a long day.

Certainly using the full mixture spread capability you can do many things with temperature including increasing power whilst reducing CHT and EGT, but this is not the same as saying it is not true that the higher the power the higher the CHT.

Last edited by Obidiah; 30th Mar 2015 at 23:25.