PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 13:11
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the authorities are doing is simply asking _all_ airlines to implement a procedure that has already been in widespread use, as long as the locked door, in a large number of airlines all round the world - just not _your_ airline...

Of all the ideas I’ve heard, putting a member of the Cabin Crew in the cockpit for a few minutes seems the most sensible
I think there is now much greater awareness of the rule, and its benefits and risks. However, what is clear is that by "adding" the rule, the purpose of that second person has changed - and not insignificantly

Do we assume the root cause of this accident was a pilot with a mental illness, with/without prescribed drugs being taken, and that if the medical authorities had all been in possession of the full facts, that pilot would not have flying that day?

If we do assume the above, I suggest you read your OM A with respect to the medical standards for pilots and cabin crew, and specifically with regard to this illness and medication, and self-diagnosis.

If your OM A is like ours (which I will not disclose), you might agree that compulsorily adding a CC to the Flt Deck whenever 1 pilot remains, "as a protection against mental illness", might not appear the wisest mitigation

I agree, on the surface what's changed since last week? Awareness I would add, and clear statements as to what and how that added person could do, and the tools they have to achieve it.