PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Manston – History of No. 1 AEF (1967 to 1995)
Old 30th Mar 2015, 12:38
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Haraka wrote:
P.S. When flying solo, the four straps tightened up in the rear cockpit showed the potential problem.
During my time as a ULAS student in the early 1970s, solo spinning was in and out of the syllabus with alternate phases of the moon, or so it seemed. But one day I was authorised for the exercise, cranked up and chugged off down the free lane, 'Twyford outbound' to Mapledurham, then into the southerly climb up to whatever height we had to use after I'd passed the A4 west of Reading.

Finally up to altitude, quick HASELLs, then throttle to idle, trim out, wait for the correct IAS, then control column fully back and full left rudder....

As the aircraft departed into the spin, a loud banging and crashing noise came from behind me.... So I promptly recovered and decided that was quite enough spinning for the day! A few aeros, then a PFL before descending, 'Woodley inbound' at the gasometers and back to WW for a circuit or two.

The cause of the noise? The knots in the end of the rear seat straps banging against the rear seat structure. Without the usual levels of vibration, chugging and clattering of the Gyspy Major and with little airflow noise, the racket had been pretty alarming - much to the amusement of my QFI when I told him!

Last edited by BEagle; 30th Mar 2015 at 22:05.