PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flydubai: Need to know BEFORE applying
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 11:19
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed.

To put it mildly, life in Dubai - and at Flydubai - is not for everyone.

To a large degree, perceptions of the city /country and airline will depend on where someone is from and their flying background. I can understand how, for people from some regions of Latin America, Southern Africa or the subcontinent, the UAE might feel like the promised land. However, for Europeans, Americans, Aussies etc the 'benefits' of living here are not quite as obvious.

Similarly, if previously you were stuck on turboprops with no career prospects, or living out of a suitcase for weeks on end, or working for an outfit that staggered from one financial crisis to the next (or all three) then Flydubai might not seem a bad place to work. On the other hand, if you enjoyed a stable roster, not being shot at, minimal night flying, a high quality TRTO, and maybe even - shock horror - union protection, you could be forgiven for not exactly being in love with the place.

I do appreciate the good things here; the weather is great for six months of the year, it's not crime free, but the sort of low-level antisocial stuff that is all too common in Europe (littering, graffiti, drunken teenagers, muggings etc) is virtually non-existent. Life can be very good - particularly on days off when I don't have to drive to work. I can save enough to send money home, but only because I don't have kids. Work-wise, most colleagues are great, there is a good variety of destinations - apart from the war zones - and the aircraft are new and very reliable.

Against that, the driving here is appalling, and most days I can expect to drive to work with some suicidal cretin glued to my rear bumper at 110kph whilst texting his mates, updating his facebook profile and letting his kids stand between the front seats. When (if) I arrive, I have the choice of paying to park outside or adding nearly an hour to my day by using the off-airport car park that has been thoughtfully provided by someone who thinks it's more important for office staff to arrive on time and unstressed than pilots or cabin crew.

The rostering system works well for perhaps the top 10% in each seat, and poorly for most other people. I particularly enjoy the trip trade requests from senior guys with twenty days off, inviting me to take a single Doha off them so they can make it twenty one. The roster is the biggest single issue why many people are actively looking elsewhere.

In a nutshell, there are worse airlines to work for and worse places to live, but there are too many negatives for it to ever feel anything more than a stepping-stone. I know very few people who regard it as a long term proposition.

It just boils down to how long you can tolerate the company and the city that dictates how long you stay.
Amen to that.