PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 30th Mar 2015, 06:02
gopher01

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Day trip to La Belle France

On a similar experience with trips to French bases I was tasked with a day trip to somewhere in France to pick up a returning Captain who was finishing an exchange posting on the C160. The prep consisted of wear No 1 and don't worry about your toolkit! A rather motley bunch of Aircrew boarded the frame and off we went.
On arrival it was park up and leave the aircraft to the tender care off the crew who were to fly us back and off to the Squadron HQ where the hospitality began, drinkies all round, many rounds of toasts and the down to the cellar bar for lunch which was accompanied by more drinkies and toasts. Whether it was a deliberate choice or not lunch was Roast Lamb and this was at the time, you may remember it, of the lamb war with France. Memories start to fade after that but I do remember the pilot sitting next to me having his wings sawn off his jacket by a Frenchman with a steak knife.
The day finished with a visit to the local vintners where a considerable amount of tasting took part before purchases were made and a return to the base and aircraft followed. On getting everybody on board a head count revealed a shortage of one, the guy we had come out to bring home but he eventually turned up and a return to Lyneham ensued.
Who it was decided to park the aircraft right outside the Terminal gave the occupants the sight of a remarkable number of people very the worse for wear after a day of Entente Cordial falling off the aircraft and departing the scene quite quickly!
Not all day trips were quite as entertaining!