PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Gleaning Information from CASA
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 21:38
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
ADS-B Gleaning Information from CASA

In the Regulation Impact Statement (“RIS”) that was prepared by CASA for the mandatory introduction of ADS-B, I note that it makes a number of statements.

Firstly, it states that for flights across Australia:

one airline estimates the improvement in time efficiency to be between 6 and 15 minutes …which represents an approximate time reduction of between 3% and 9%
The paper goes on to state,

If there was to be a 5% fuel improvement affecting 10% of their fleet this would equate to an annual saving of $23.8m
Can anyone advise if there has been any measurable fuel saving by direct tracking since the mandatory introduction of ADS-B?

In the same RIS, the heading under, “Table 4: Annualised ADS-B benefit” states that general aviation will get an $8.26 million fuel efficiency benefit as CASA claims there will be a 10% saving in fuel because of ADS-B.

Does anyone in GA know of a situation where there has been a measurable saving in fuel because of ADS-B?

It should be noted that the RIS says that the fitment costs of ADS-B for aircraft larger than 5,700kgs will enjoy with an estimated $12 million but – wait for this – the cost to fit the ADS-B to small aircraft will be $38 million. Can anyone advise if there has been any measurable savings since the ADS-B mandate? From my inquiries to my contacts at the major airlines, I am told there have been no savings at all.