PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the airlines to blame for the pressures they put on Pilots?
Old 29th Mar 2015, 21:04
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I felt angered that the depression link was put forward as if it was a sole cause. They could've said the guy had a physical illness and tried to cite that as a cause for all the relevance.

I'm no psychologist but depression does not hallmark itself as taking others with you. The eagerness of the investigative team and media has thrown a struggling battle the mental health support services had to bring understanding of depression into disarray. I don't believe either that stress and pressure would cause these actions.

As aside, I feel the arrogance of the industry is to believe their actions and practices are not part of an environment that contribute towards mental health issues such as depression. They are and if one thing may come to light is hopefully the regulators wake up to the obtuseness they have shown in believing Pilot's either have to be super human or get out of the kitchen.

However, the actions seen here are different level. I'm sure if the guy was still alive he would be diagnosed with a severe psychiatric disorder, one which stress or depression alone would not account for. I hope the correctly qualified people have enough material and medical records to make an informed judgement.