PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna as an Uber Taxi ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 19:49
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting commentary on "part 134-1/2" operation here: Flying on borrowed time | Business Jet Traveler.

Bottom line is, there's no legal way to do this. The "trial flight" might work once, if you find a shady CFI to do it. The schools I know are wide-awake to this and just plain won't do it. "Oh, I want a trial lesson, and by the way it would be real convenient if at the end you could drop me off in Vegas". Yeah, sure.

There are operations that kind-of do this, by selling each customer (on paper) a small share of the aircraft, which makes it a legit Part 91 (private flying) operation. Surf Air out of San Carlos is an example of this. Annual membership is in the region of $100k I believe.

The closest you could get would be to persuade someone to sell you say a 1/10th share in their aircraft and then, assuming they have a CPL, you could pay them to fly "your" airplane. There would be significant cost and paperwork hassle associated with this. And if someone asked me to do this I'd talk to my insurer and look very, very carefully at all the applicable regs. (Actually, personally, I'd just say no thanks, or more likely you must be kidding).

Sorry, the FAA regulates fly-for-hire for a reason.