PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Test Pilot
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 19:28
InquisitivFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Becoming a Test Pilot

Hello all,

First off I'm unsure whether this should go in the Wannabes forum or here, but I placed it here since it seems the majority of the wannabes forum is oriented towards airline careers. Apologies if it is in the wrong place.

Also, I've had a good look at the FAQ sticky and I've gained some good info from there, though most of it seems circa 2003-2005 so I was wondering how much has changed.

I'm in my very early twenties, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any additional pointers on how to become a civilian test pilot. The military route is unfortunately not an option, since the RAF aircrew door has been understandably shut because I had some very mild, very infrequent wheeziness as a kid - diagnosed as childhood asthma. I'm unsure whether that would also 'close the door' to being a test pilot. I'm still looking to get some military experience whether that's through the RAF reserves or Uni Air Squadron.

It seems to me that the route
Engineering Degree BEng/MEng >> FTE >> Build Hours and gain CPL/ other additional licences >>> Test Pilot
seems to be the way that's recommended here. Would that be true? Are there other courses available nowadays?

I realise it's an incredibly difficult thing to do, and there are no guarantees, the path I've set out above is just a kind of 'ideal scenario' I've put together from reading the older posts on the subject.

I've looked at various test pilot schools and it seems like you need a minimum of 750 hours turbine time for most, and a sponsorship from a company that will put you through the course and employ you.

I've tried to research quite a few careers in aviation and this seems to be the toughest one to gain information on! I'm basically looking for any advice, all advice is appreciated and if people require further info about me/qualifications or want to discuss it further I'd be happy to send you my email via PM. Thanks.