PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the airlines to blame for the pressures they put on Pilots?
Old 29th Mar 2015, 15:55
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gusset

I work for a legacy carrier on an old and largely generous contract. But, even for we lucky ones the future looks like a continuing battle with management to keep what we have, let alone improve on it.
Take your comments one by one:
Above average salaries YES, BUT DIFFERENTIALS WITH OTHER PROFESSIONS HAVE FALLEN. ( some even swing tax free) ONLY IN RETURN FOR SAND.
Cheap staff travel RECENTLY CUT BT 50%
Free Food and water FOOD OFTEN INEDIBLE, USUALLY UNHEALTHY,
4/5 star Hotels ALWAYS THE WORST ROOMS IN THEM.
High level of respect from customers PARTLY TRUE BY SOME
Much envied position/ glamour perceived SEE DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF THE WORD 'GLAMOUR' FITS THE JOB PERFECTLY.
Free clothing AGAIN, ONLY SOMETIMES AND OF POOR QUALITY.

There is one timebomb which will rear its ugly head in the coming years. This is Loss of Licence and Permanant Health Insurance .
Many now don't get these (TAXABLE) perks, they are purchasable, but are very expensive, maybe prohibitively so, if paying off 125k of loans.
If you want pilots to honestly self report illness, in a job where being grounded could equal a permanant loss of income, these insurances are an essential part of any pilots contract. Sadly, those that currently have them are battling to save them, those that have started without will never have the safety net that I have.
20 years down the line, mortgaged to the hilt and a family to feed, I suspect todays youngsters will be disinclined to admit to any illness they could cover.

I wonder if the GermanWings FO would have reported for duty if he felt secure in his job and the contactual protections that it gave him? We will never know, but a few commentators are asking this question. In reality, the GermanWings guy had quite good t&c's by todays standard, but this does effect peoples state of mind.