PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA B2 Licence
Thread: EASA B2 Licence
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 12:24
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Assan,

A fully-approved Basic Training Course for a Cat B 1.1 licence requires 2,400 hours, including minimums of 1,200 hours Classroom work (Modules and examination) 800 hours of Practical Training and 400 hours of OJT.

In a College in the UK, and elsewhere in Europe as far as I know, that will take 2 years or less, including the OJT at a Part 145 MRO.

Cat A requires much less.

The Part 147 Training Organisation that runs the fully-approved course MUST arrange and monitor the OJT, because it must remain in control of the whole course.

If it does not do that it is not allowed to issue a Basic Training Certificate.

You do not mention the Practical Training as being included by your institute.

Based solely on what you have said, it seems to me that your institute is not only conning you (4 years to pass the Modules, indeed. The teaching must be appalling, if it takes that long), it is in clear violation of Part 66 and Part 147 in many respects.

The risk to you is that if and when the NAA or EASA catch up with this, all your certificates may be declared invalid, and you will have lost all the money spent, as well as at least 4 years. Students at a Training Organisation in Greece had this problem quite recently, when the NAA/EASA discovered that the TO had violated the rules..

You should deal with this problem first; it is pointless to worry about EWIS and so on.

When you have a valid Basic Training Certificate in your hand, you can move on to obtaining your work experience.

One possible explanation of what your Institute may be up to, is that they know that the course they are offering is not the fully-approved course as described above, and is in fact simply a non-approved course in which you obtain your Module passes. IF that is so, they are lying to you in the knowledge that you are, naturally, unaware of the rules.

If that is so, you do NOT need to do the Practical Training or the OJT, but you WOULD need to do 5 years work experience. Moreover, you could do all the Modules in much less time with home study, taking the exams when you are ready at any Part 147-approved MTO, or the NAA if you are in an EASA Member State.

I think you should contact EASA (or the NAA if you are in a Member State) directly, tell them exactly what you have been told, and ask their advice. I would not give the Institute any more money until you have got it sorted out, because I think you might be wasting it.

Please name the institute; it would make it much easier to see what they are up to.

Last edited by Capot; 30th Mar 2015 at 08:58.