PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the airlines to blame for the pressures they put on Pilots?
Old 29th Mar 2015, 11:25
Deep and fast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to remember he said "one day I'm going to do something to change the whole system"

Now the question is, what system was he talking about?

If it was the employment practises of airlines then it is worthy of discussion.

I met some Lufthansa cadets recently and although the training was not free any more they still had some of the best prospects for cadets in Europe. Now if operating under those conditions created enough stress or resentment to do this then there may be another with the same mental problems.

The first thing that must be done is for the regulators to get out online and talk to crew, find out what is happening on their turf and not just bury their head in the paperwork at the office.

Also, I know of two pilots losing their medical due to stress and loss of licence does not cover this. Think about it, no more money coming in, family and mortgage needs providing for and what do you do if your profession has no mechanism for dealing with this?
I'm glad I no longer work in the airline industry.
I have huge respect for Lufthansa for trying their best with this guy, but it failed. There has to be a better way for the industry to deal with the vunrable soft fleshy thing that flies the aircraft.