PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So I came across this (R44 Cloud Surfing)
Old 29th Mar 2015, 11:04
Efirmovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago I had been flying for a couple of years in an R22 and with 100hr or so in my log book I decided to move up to an R44.
Having purchased the machine from a very well known (and respected ) company in the UK the main man said he would do some of my conversion training. Wow what an honour !
He then proceeded to put some spare parts on the back seat of MY machine and said it would be good practice for me for us to fly down to North London and drop the parts off !

We set off and within 5 mins flying there was a thick band of cloud ahead, I suggested we turn back and was told not to be so silly and pull power and get on top of it as it was no problem as the machine had just been fitted with the latest Garmin GPS !!......... at 5500ft and me s****ing my self we levelled out and flew for a further 30 mins before he said swap to instruments and drop the leaver, we will just go down through it no problem.

I have to say it was the worst 5 mins of my flying career, at 500ft indicated and still in cloud even he was twitching, at 300ft we popped out just above a large town !! To which he proclaimed,, " See no problem ! "

Looking back and now with many hours in my log book having flown all over Europe and South Asia and in all sorts of weather I would love to have had the sense, experience, balls or whatever then to tell him to F**k off.

It did teach me not to put myself in that situation again though !

E.