PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 07:24
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Situations Vacant ; Local Parish Church, (congregation 12, occasionally 13 if Mrs brown who is bad on her legs turns up), minimal skills required.

Note - Former Airport Capacity Commissioners need not apply !

Once again i'm indebted to Shed for raising an excellent point , this time the subject matter being the endangered species of slots to London !

Seemingly yet another interesting aspect of "trends" re airport capacity that Sir Howard Davies and his razor sharp team of civil servants have thus far completely omitted to mention. They really should have stuck to something less taxing (see above).

BMI MAN- LHR Gone
Little Red MAN- LHR Gone
BA MAN -LGW Gone
BA MAN- LHR Reduction

If the trend is for a reduction in frequency/seats and a significant one at that, how on earth will Manchester and indeed the rest of the UK benefit from this "tsunami of connectivity/wealth" promised by "BackHeathrow" ?

Did BMI and indeed Little Red not also serve Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc ?

Blaming lack of access especially in the case of Little Red, really is utter tosh. Connecting via London from the regions is in terminal decline. BA can make and will make,more money using those slots to benefit other routes, HAD they made money in the first place they would still be operating, simple !

As an aside discarded routes to other UK airports to LHR would also still exist IF THEY MADE MONEY !

There are simply not enough regional passengers flying to LHR any more !

Those that choose to do so have more than adequate frequency eg average 8 a day from MAN, GLA etc AND the planes that do operate are presumably carrying more passengers !

If HAL want a new runway and can convince their shareholders of the business case, no problem BUT please RW3 is a runway for London NOT the UK !

Interestingly MANFOD did I also read that the average passenger load into LHR was 214 whilst into Manchester it was 173 ?

Now I appreciate airlines that use LHR do not wish to use Manchester, ( i'll slip that one in now before you do Skip) but do I really read that right ?

The mix of much higher capacity aircraft must dwarf Manchester by a factor of 30 to 1 and yet this does not on the face of it seem to be reflected in the loads carried ?

Heathrow handles 3 times the passengers that use Manchester but given the wave after wave of A380, B777, B787 , B767, A321 every 90 seconds ,16 hours a day I would have thought that average would...... and indeed should be monstrously higher, the airport is FULL is it not ! ?

Before the shareholders of LHR very generously invest £20billion to support the "national good" should they not question the operational aspects of there own ability in employing a formula that maximises utilization ?

...oh dear , we are not doing well are we , yet again a very significant point that The Reverend Davies and his bunch of Tea Ladies might have considered !

(no offence to Tea Ladies intended)

Last edited by Bagso; 29th Mar 2015 at 08:34.