PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizzair
Thread: Wizzair
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 02:30
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
My understanding is that with the start of the S15 season, the open skies agreement signed by the EU and Ukraine in Nov 2013 means that any EU airline can fly from anywhere in the EU to/from Ukraine. Thus the legal existence of Wizz Air Ukraine becomes substantially less necessary on purely nationality grounds for the parent Wizz group. If I've misunderstood what the 2013 signed agreement means, I'd be very grateful if someone could correct me.

Is there anything that Wizz Air Hungary cannot do between Kiev/Lviv and the EU that Wizz Air Ukraine could do ? I imagine that the liberalisation afforded to an EU rather than Ukrainian registered company is well worth having to give up flying Kiev-Moscow.

I'm curious in particular why all 6 routes between Ukraine and Italy are being dropped - is this down to poor profitability / lack of aircraft or something else around licencing ? I thought there were a large number of Ukrainians working in Italy which presumably translates to consistent demand for air transport.

Furthermore, as mallorcaguy mentions, why did Govt decline permission for WU to operate routes between other EU airports and the Ukraine for dates post open skies liberalisation, on what grounds was this refusal enforceable in law, and can these routes be flown from today by Wizz Hungary instead ?

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 29th Mar 2015 at 03:08.