PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loading speed of Firefox
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2015, 21:08
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed because of a big file?
Speed because of a big file ?

Absolute and utter codswallop if you're talking about executables (i.e software).

Only makes sense if you're dealing with stuff that tests how well the developers have programmed memory buffer usage in their software (e.g. dealing with large images in editing software).

mixture seems to have overcome that, though I suspect a powerful bit of kit, (and anyway, probably fine-tunes everything in his sleep. )
The only time I've had issues with Firefox is if I have a multitude of windows and tabs open. Nobody should have a slow-loading Firefox unless they've got a particularly sluggish machine.

And for the record, I don't fine-tune desktop machines .... nobody should, its about as useful as waving a dead chicken over your computer. All you need to remember are the holy trinity :

(a) A reasonably decent processor (i.e. no Celeron-type nonsense)
(b) As much RAM as you can afford (well, within reason... no need to go up to 24GB unless you're doing image manipulation or such like !)
(c) If you're only running a 5400rpm disk drive, swap for 7200 (or a decent SSD if you can afford it).

In other words, speaking from many years of experience, the secret with desktops/laptops is in the hardware .... that will be the downfall of 99.9999% of users.

(Well, ok, for the sake of completeness, for Windows users there might be a (d), consisting of registry bloat and fragmentation ... but if your Windows machine is less than a couple of years old and already feeling sluggish then my money would be on the hardware being the root cause).