PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Mar 2015, 19:39
aeroid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Maria Squash

Post 2710 I remember it well. In fact I was in almost as it started. On the 25th Jan '72 (log books out chaps) me , the team and XV 302 went to Waddington and then next day to Lajes, obviously supporting the tin triangle somewhere Stateside. It must have had the making of a good jolly because most of us had our golf clubs with us. However when we got to Lajes we got the message that the Blat a Guat contest had started and we were to position to Santa Maria and get involved with the rest of the slip just about to start. Then it was Bermuda -Nassau - Belize etc. complete with crew fruit juice Rosy Matoose. So we can actually claim that we went to war complete with golf clubs........how civilised.

With reference to multi tasking I believe that the Met Recce Flight at Farnbrough flew the Varsity, Herc, Canberra and possibly the Dakota as part of their job. I recall D... P..t telling me that he did his night cat on three types on the same evening!

Last edited by aeroid; 28th Mar 2015 at 19:47. Reason: addition