PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approach during circle to land
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2015, 12:23
Avenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5. All turns should be made in the same direction and the aeroplane should remain within the circling protected area while climbing either:
i. to the altitude assigned to any published circling missed approach maneuver if applicable;
ii. to the altitude assigned to the missed approach of the initial instrument approach;
iii. to the MSA;
iv. to the minimum holding altitude (MHA) applicable for transition to a holding facility or fix, or continue to climb to an MSA; or
v. as directed by ATS.
When the missed approach procedure is commenced on the ‘downwind’ leg of the circling maneuver, an ‘S’ turn may be undertaken to align the aeroplane on the initial instrument approach missed approach path, provided the aeroplane remains within the protected circling area.
The commander is responsible for ensuring adequate terrain clearance during the above-stipulated maneuvers, particularly during the execution of a missed approach initiated by ATS.

6. Because the circling maneuver may be accomplished in more than one direction, different patterns will be required to establish the aeroplane on the prescribed missed approach course depending on its position at the time visual reference is lost. In particular, all turns are to be in the prescribed direction if this is restricted, e.g. to the west/east (left or right hand) to remain within the protected circling area.

7. If a missed approach procedure is published for a particular runway onto which the aeroplane is conducting a circling approach and the aeroplane has commenced a maneuver to align with the runway, the missed approach for this direction may be accomplished. The ATS unit should be informed of the intention to fl y the published missed approach procedure for that particular runway.