PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2015, 11:37
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we really sure that FO's depression played a role here at all?

He went to a doctor and got a sick note. Are you sure that was for depression? It could have been an injured knee after all that running.

He went to a hospital that did not treat him for depression. Bad knees?

When he had a bout of depression in 2008 he reported it and was treated until he was satisfyingly well. As you all noted, five years went by until he actually flew an airplane.

There are other possibilities out there. Don't slam people because once they were depressed. You can recover very well from a depression with the correct treatment. You can also be depressed without having suicidal thoughts. So excluding every single pilot that has suffered from depression is not necessary, although I see some here make those claims. On the contrary, a pilot that does not fear losing his/her job because of this illness have better chances of recovery because for them there is a light at the end of the tunnel, they have something to fight for!

I also see that many of you have absolutely no idea how SSRIs actually work and how they are linked to suicide. That is sad. Very sad. Misinformed, I would say.