PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2015, 06:33
737er

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work for one of those carriers that had no two crew policy. However, in case of a video system malfunction or an electrical lock malfunction of course we had to use a two crew policy to keep at least one pilot in his seat at all times. Standard backup procedure. We move now to a full time two crew policy and i really feel much safer with that 19 year old non-background checked, zero hour contract part time FA behind me...
The real fallacy comes from the idea that 2 pilots on the flight deck can even prevent a determined nutcase at the controls from crashing the plane. There are many instances during any flight when the reaction of the sane pilot wouldnt come even close to being quick enough to save the plane.

We read stories about passengers going berserk on a monthly basis and trying to storm the cockpit. United had one last week.

Luftansa has one of the most extensive mental evaluations screening in the world, if not THE most extensive.

These are extremely rare and isolated occurences. Until we come up with a mind reading device, they will continue to be unpredictable and unpreventable.

Flying is safe. Pilots do a remarkable job. The mental weakness is mainly a societal collective one which is fear based and illogically reactive.

Here is the real issue:

Anxieties.com | How safe is commercial flight?