PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2015, 05:44
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
......I cannot help but conclude that once a licence holder is diagnosed with a clinical mental condition his/her ability to ever exercise the privileges of that licence should be permanently removed.

The alternative is quite simply incomprehensible to the fare paying public. Imagine "welcome on board Flight 123 to X, the Captain has just returned from sick leave due to a bout of depression but seems OK now so strap in....."

....I am sure there are many who would disagree with me but I have never ever been convinced that anybody truly recovers to 100% once diagnosed with a clinical mental disorder.
Originally Posted by Arfur Dent
...So any pilot who is off work for stress or any other mental illness should be permanently excluded from his/her chosen career? ...
Originally Posted by keepitflying
As an ex pilot who has unfortunately suffered depression and anxiety, I have first hand experience of how the system works. ... I thought my career was over, that's it, I will never fly again. Nothing was further from the truth. I had exceptional support from my company, the CAA, my AME and GP. Never once was anything said about never flying again. unfortunatly, I could not recover from my anxiety and I took the very hard decision to leave flying. .......
In the US, once you have a bout with depression or other treatable mental illness, or admit to having a substance abuse problem, your career is over. While you might be able to get your 1st Class Medical restored, no airline will hire you. Covered by myself about 30 pages back here.

Can other EU/UK pilots speak to how this works in your part of the big blue marble? Thank you Keepitflying for honestly sharing your story, sir!