PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 19:57
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
There seems to be an assumption that the potential distraction or stress caused by significant life events like divorce or loss of a loved one is in the same boat as clinical mental illness.

In my view they are fundamentally different human conditions that can lead to fundamentally different events. In the first case, distraction and distress can lead to mistakes and, of course, a mistake could lead to a Terrible event.

In the case of clinical mental illness the events can be deliberately instigated by the afflicted person which could be the case in this event (I don't want to condemn the man until all the evidence possible has come to light).

On the balance of probabilities, just about every one of us will suffer at some time from the first case. This case HAS to be managed routinely by Operators by normal human resources principles. Grounding, time off to come to terms, assessment to ensure the required datums have returned and a short period of supervised flight operation. This surely is not beyond the wit of man to realise these events have nothing whatsoever to do with a clinical mental condition that could lead to unreasonable and unfavourable behaviours and ultimately tragic and horrific loss of life.

I cannot help but conclude that once a licence holder is diagnosed with a clinical mental condition his/her ability to ever exercise the privileges of that licence should be permanently removed.

The alternative is quite simply incomprehensible to the fare paying public. Imagine "welcome on board Flight 123 to X, the Captain has just returned from sick leave due to a bout of depression but seems OK now so strap in....."

It's a very harsh view I know but we work in a unique and challenging environment where it seems at present, we pay huge regard to the physical health of the flying machine, provide multiple safeguards for the Computers that make our life safer and easier, yet pay scant regard for the mental stability of the crew.

I am sure there are many who would disagree with me but I have never ever been convinced that anybody truly recovers to 100% once diagnosed with a clinical mental disorder.

I think we need to clearly separate and manage normal life stressors that could lead to errors from clinical mental disorders that could lead to deliberate acts of murder or self destruction.