PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 19:01
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
anengineer:
1. Camera would not have stopped this tragic loss of life.
2. I don't see the point of your question.
Based on what a great many airline pilots report, some of whom are friends of mine for decades, the cultural relationship between management and workforce in airlines is already toxic, or close to it.

What you suggest would make that set of working condition worses, not better.

Mods, if this line of discussion belongs in another thread, please move us and it.
Interesting that there are two points in your response to be made:

1. The camera would not have stopped the loss of life - nor would a DFDR or CVR. What a camera does is make it IMMEDIATELY apparent that the FO was actually alive and well and sitting in his seat and stop all this continuous hamster wheel in the media and here about different ways he could have passed out and still locked the captain out. In many previous events SME's have sat for hours trying to work out what noises were.

2. The cultural relationship between management and crews - could well have been a contributory factor in the PF's behavior. It is time that the airlines fixed themselves - if a beancounter starts taking action by going over FOQA data then he should be sacked and banned from aviation, similarly a manager trying to crawl through CVR for comments to get upset about should be grounds for immediate dismissal and no return to aviation. If you look at The Human Factors Analysis and Classification System HFACS ( https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/fireIn..._classAnly.pdf ) see figure 3. The airlines themselves (and as members of the airlines that includes pilots and cabin crew too) are a causal factor for this type of incident. This is a MAJOR safety issue that is disregarded continually. I can remember way back in the military having it drummed in to everyone that Flight Safety was everyone's business - often with examples of a pay-clerk screwing someone up and that leading to the incorrect mental state while flying -- sound familiar?

Let's hope this crash has an effect on management and they start realizing that the kind of 'industrial relations' games they are playing have a direct impact on safety of operations, they in turn will have a direct impact on their bottom line in a way that will dwarf the savings of a few thousand per year on a FO's salary.