PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 18:32
nsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things I would like to see

1, I don’t know if anyone does this, but I would like to see the idea of “flying teams” become more common. The idea being that a captain and FO, and a senior FA (or two) would normally work as a team. I don’t believe that there are any technological or medical measures that would be anything like as effective as this to keep everyone safe. The team would monitor each other and know better than anyone if one of them was unwell. Obviously such teams would come together voluntarily and so enjoy a good level of compatibility. I am not saying that this would be an absolute rule, but just be the norm.

2, I would like to see a system where pilots have access to a totally independent medical facility that would have the power to force the airline to allow the pilot to go on leave without specifying any particular reason. If I owned an airline I would insist that no one outside the medical facility would know anything about the health problems of any of the employees. This would allow a pilot to ask for medical assistance in the certain knowledge that the type of problem they have (whatever it is) could not affect their employment prospects. I have read several posts in this thread from pilots who acted very responsibility (and, I presume, legally) and told their employer the truth about their problems only to have this honesty repaid with dismissal. Bean counters cannot be expected to care about anything but beans, so let us please have a system where this does not result in the most responsible and trustworthy people being eliminated.

Airliners that use these kinds of ideas will certainly get my custom every time.