PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in NZ
Thread: Flying in NZ
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 18:11
The Flying Pram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there in '96, or was it 97? I did the Queenstown to Milford Sound trip in the R/H seat of a BN2. To say it was "an experience" is probably an understatement! Wanaka is definitely worth a visit - try and allow at least half a day if you can. I was driven between Queenstown and Wanaka by a local minibus service (I was the only passenger). The driver was more of a tour guide, and asked me if I wanted to take the normal road or the "scenic" route. This turned out to be part gravel, and wound up through the hills between the two. We stopped several times for photography, and he dropped me off at the junction outside Wanaka airfield then took my bags on to the motel!

The mention of "low level" in a rotary rings a bell - I had intended to get a flight in a fixed wing, but they were all booked, and got arm twisted into the left seat of an R22 by Simon Spencer-Bower (I think his name was). It was a bit disconcerting to be looking UP at the river bank on the first part of our flight! He landed on a hill overlooking one of the lakes, giving me time to get out and take some pictures. After a very enjoyable 20 minutes or so it was time to leave, and he drove me back to the motel on his way home. This helpful attitude seems to pervade all aspects of tourism in NZ. During my time with him, it soon transpired that he knows the UK well - he did his training out of Cambridge - and is friends with Henry Labouchere, who I often see at Northrepps. Small world...