PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 18:06
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE VALETE LIST

I'm well aware that following many months of exciting new route and increased frequency announcements, my post afew weeks ago suggesting that Summer 2015 would see 'modest' rather than 'swashbuckling' growth at MAN was met with widespread horror, denial and consternation. The 'inconvenient truth' underlying this claim was that whilst the list of additional flights is indeed very impressive, the list of services exiting is pretty substantial too. So, as we head into Summer 2015, it seems appropriate to remember the casualties ... those services which graced MAN's hallowed tarmac in S2014 but which will not be with us this time around. After all, they just don't get the attention and reportage enjoyed by the 'Salvete List', so let's wish them all a fond farewell now. Note that I don't claim to have identified all the changes, but I think that this list will provide a pretty decent guide.

MONARCH AIRLINES: A total of 42 departures per week withdrawn compared with S2014. And many of these used larger A332 / B752 types. MAN's largest hit this season. With thanks and acknowledgment to DAVID SHARPE on the Monarch thread for calculating this number.

BMI REGIONAL: Withdrawing its final MAN route, the Aberdeen schedule with 16 departures per week. No more scheduled ops at MAN after many years of continuous service.

VIRGIN LITTLE RED: Closing the MAN-LHR operation which was 21 departures weekly in S2014 (and a higher frequency 4x Daily through Winter 2014/5).

BRITISH AIRWAYS: Reducing its MAN-LHR frequencies by 6 departures weekly.

US AIRWAYS / AMERICAN: Last Summer's 7 per week MAN-CLT scheduled service not returning for S2015.

AER LINGUS REGIONAL: S2014 schedule to Shannon operated 20 departures per week. Ryanair has replaced STK on MAN-SNN.

FLYBE: Drop Waterford service which operated 3 departures weekly in S2014.

RYANAIR: Drop Trapani (2 departures pw), Bremen (3 departures pw), Paphos (2 departures pw), Reus (3 departures pw). Despite the withdrawal of these ten frequencies, Ryanair is expected to operate a slightly enhanced programme for S2015 including some destinations not served in S2014. However, the very muted expansion by Ryanair at MAN for S2015 is one of the biggest disappointments of the season. It was suggested at one point that RYR wanted ten based this year. Was it constrained access to T3 infrastructure which cost MAN this important opportunity?

JET2: Drop CDG (4 departures pw), Jersey (3 departures pw). However, positive changes mean that Jet2 should operate a larger programme in S2015 than last year.

DELTA AIRLINES: Ends 7 departures pw to ATL with in-house metal. However, sister company Virgin Atlantic is taking over the route with larger A333 equipment representing a small overall increase on the route.

The total number of frequencies withdrawn according to this summary is 139 departures per week, or just shy of 20 departures (40 movements) per day. That is alot, and I've probably missed several more on the charter side (only having numbers for Monarch).

Now, to be completely clear, the list of NEW SERVICES and ENHANCED FREQUENCIES on existing routes is very impressive indeed. But MAN will only record growth AFTER these 139 withdrawn departures per week have been offset. The plateauing of Ryanair is a major disappointment in this respect. Growth for MAN in Summer 2015, whilst it should still happen, will be a much more laboured affair than some have supposed. However, if I'm proven wrong ... I'll be absolutely delighted. Bring on that swashbuckling growth ... I can handle the abuse!