PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 23 DFCs
Thread: 23 DFCs
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 10:36
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
User:Necrothesp/List of recipients of the Distinguished Flying Cross (United Kingdom), 1948?present - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old Duffer - if you take a look at the list of DFC awards on the link, you will see that all of the RAF recipients have been officers, the only NCO recipients being from the AAC. I am unfamiliar with the make up of Chinook crews, but I am assuming rear crews will be exclusively NCOs, so the assumption is that only pilots (probably aircraft captains) have been getting DFCs. (The list only goes up to 2012 so there may be more recent awards to NCOs that I am not aware of.) 'Twas ever thus, in WW2 the ratio of DFCs/DFMs was over three to one, in spite of the numerical superiority of NCO aircrew over commissioned.

Speaking realistically, in most cases it's a crew effort, and if there's one medal going, the captain's going to get it. After all, if it all goes wrong it's his (or her) neck that's on the block.

crab - taking your general point about the disparity in awards between ground and air forces, once again this was also the case in WW2, with the numbers of DFCs/DFMs exceeding the number of MCs/MMs awarded, in spite of the numerical superiority of the army over the RAF. Incidentally you can also check the link to answer your question about army recipients of the DFC