PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 08:14
2Planks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
In Post 1161 Denti said this:
Germanwings FOs are on the Lufthansa mainline pay, only exception is that the overtime threshold is higher. The entry level pay is around 68k €/year according to lufthansa management, they enjoy the full benefits of lufthansa. Yes, they have to pay back part of their flight training (60k) which is deducted from their pay in several different ways between which they can choose. Max level pay for an FO at Germanwings is around 130k/year.

There has been no sensible rebuttal of this. In my book this is more than a reasonable salary for a 28 year old - even with a large payback on his training to cover (and I acknowledge some individuals have much larger amounts).

We also have a major dichotomy developing. We have one team saying terms and conditions are a major contributor to pilot mental health and offering it up repeatedly as an excuse for this tragedy. Meanwhile the other team are advocating nobody should be allowed in a jet of reasonable size until they have 1500TT - the so called American model - where pay is dreadful, conditions are worse and as such have been cited in an accident report (Colgan IIRC).

But at risk of repeating myself - depression can hit anyone at any time for a number of reasons.

Oh and for those who still refer those with mental illness as 'nutjobs, nutters, psychos etc' please go back to the 70s where you belong.